I know there are many tecchies out there saying, “duh.” But for most of us business professionals, this is something new and exciting! We use our smartphone as a business tool and only know about half of the features, so cut us some slack.
This is especially helpful for all my friends who live on beautiful Vancouver Island with me. And also it means that you don’t have to buy a $10 coffee at Starbucks to use the internet. I was on the Ferry the other day and was typing out some emails on my laptop, only to realize that Ferry didn’t have wireless! And I also know that the wireless you do get on the Ferry can be very limited. So I turned my phone into a WiFi hotspot and internetted away. Here’s how:
Android Phone (I have a Samsung Galaxy S2) Complicated Version:
- Go to Settings
- Click Wireless and Network
- Click Tethering and Portable Hotspot
- Click Portable Wi-Fi hotspot settings
- You can configure your settings from there and turn on the hotspot. I gave mine a password.
Android Phone EASY Way
- Download the “Quick Settings” App from the Android Market
- In the app, click the menu button on your phone and go to “customize”
- Drag the “Wi-Fi Hotspot” item up to the top
- I moved my Quick Settings to my home page and anytime I want to turn on the hotspot, I just open the app and turn it on. Very simple. Check out the video:
Hope that helped! Now you can read, comment, and share my blog wherever you go!! And enter your email address to sign up if you haven’t already.
- What do You Do to Stand Out? (joegirard.ca)
- How to connect to the internet using tethering (vodafone.com.au)